Spring is upon us, and the weather is changing with many beautiful Colorado days to enjoy. It can be very therapeutic to get out in nature. In our current culture, we are more removed from nature more than ever before with well over 50% of the world’s population living in urban settings.
Research shows that if we detach from nature we can see increases in:
Most communities in this country offer some type of outdoor activities and access. Here in Denver ,we have great access to parks and open spaces, as well as to the mountains. Research has shown that exposure to nature in parks, the outdoors, or even pictures and sounds of nature can decrease all of the above symptoms as well as increase creativity and productivity!
Here are a few examples of things you can try doing outside:-
- Walking with friends, family and/or your dog
- Tai Chi- many parks offer outdoor classes
- Running, jogging or cycling
- Rowing on a lake (this adds the bonus of the benefits of water)
- Conservation activities
- Frisbee, frisbee golf, catch, volleyball….you get the idea.
We hope you are able to get outside and enjoy this beautiful season!