Are you having gas, bloating and constipation and having trouble getting rid of it? Have you heard of SIBO- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth? If you have the above symptoms you may have a type of SIBO that require a unique intervention- methane predominant SIBO. Let’s cover why this type of SIBO is different and what you do to tackle it and feel better!
- Methane predominant SIBO is not actually caused by a bacteria, but is caused by Methanobrevibacter Smithii, a single organism species that thrives off the hydrogen produced by other overgrown bacteria. This is why simply using the popular pharmaceutical for SIBO- Xifaxin- may not work for this type of SIBO.
- In order to know you have methane type SIBO you must get a breath test that includes both hydrogen and methane tracking so be sure to ask for this type of test.
- Most conventional docs who treat this type of SIBO will use Xifaxin plus Neomycin. This treatment approach does work but it often kills off many good bacteria so it can cause a vicious cycle of dysbiosis (imbalanced bacteria) in your gut microbiome.
- If you would like to try a gentler yet effective approach consider a combination of two of the following: Oil of Oregano, Neem, Allicin and/or a formulation developed by a GI doc called Atrantil.
- Be sure to discuss anything you start with your natural health care provider; if you are in Colorado and looking for a functional medicine practice check out our practice!
- Also be sure to address the 5 R’s of gut health- check out this blog and see 5 r video below to learn more!
Check out this video to learn more about methane dominant SIBO: